There have got to be more than a few Republicans out there thinking about what could have been. At the Republican convention, the fire-beathers were out in force, including a little punch to more than half of Americans by the President himself.
Just think, the Republicans could have nominated any number of out of work politicians who wouldn’t have had to pull a stunt like McCain did just to get attention. They could have stayed on the stump, pounding away at the useless Congress. One of them would have picked one of the others (instead of the little lady that needs protecting from the mean old press) as a running mate and both of them could have spent the last few days advocating for the Bush plan or just throwing stones from a distance. None of them would have cowered from a debate. They perhaps would have turned down the nice ‘help’ from the administration that McCain has been all to happy to use.
Back in the summer, I thought I was getting into tinfoil hat territory by thinking that the Bush administration was setting things up for McCain. Now, I’m not so sure. It’s as if they are over-doing it. Let’s see if I can remember them all (may not be in chronological order:
- McCain goes to Colombia and long held hostages are released while he is there.
- Obama goes to Germany and the DoD basically stops him from visiting wounded soldiers.
- Georgia blows up and McCain has an ‘in’ with his lobbyist — prepared heads-up.
- Bush administration pressures Iraqi government in negotiations in order to help McCain
- Bush administration sparks a financial crisis media blitz it was already prepared for and the Bush himself parrots (or is it the other way around) McCain’s suggestion on national tv.
- Bush putting Petraeus in a position over the conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan, from which he can’t be fired (from what I have read, Bush & Co. aare laughing their asses off about that).
I’m probably leaving something out.
One point McCain didn’t get was trying to own the anniversary of 9/11.
I almost feel sorry for McCain. Almost.
Updated by adding another point I had forgotten.