Busy Day

I stayed up a little late last night, but just not late enough.  I learned this morning that the generator-neighbor had gone to my next door neighbors’ house at midnight and started banging on theri windows.  That didn’t sit well with them, so they unplugged their extension cord and in the process unplugged me.

It’s ok.  Generator-neighbor had turned out to be a little strange.  Two nights ago he had come down to my house around 11:00 to tell me that he was going to collect money the next day.  I had Murphy and Tammy out in the yard and he proceded to tell me that he could hear what they were thinking, as well as Dora, and that I have been raising them wrong.  He pushed it so far, and it was so late, that I finally cried.  Even then it took him a while to finally leave.

Yesterday morning, he came back by.  Dora was in the yard at that point with me.  I gave him $20 (I had given him $15 before.  He started telling me that he was a surgeon and could cut someone’s hand or foot off, that Dora was speaking to him, and that I should give my dogs heartworm medicine intended for horses.  He said he had been thinking about adopting the fuzzy one (meaning Tammy).  I told him she was mine and I didn’t understand where he got the idea that I wanted to adopt her out.  He finally realized that his talk about my dogs was getting to me and started to leave.  He told me there would be a bar-b-q that afternoon and what he would contribute.  I said ok, and he finally left.

A few hours later, I went to the grocery store and got some mayo and pickles to make tuna salad.  When I got home, my next door neighbor said that the family between his house and generator-neighbor’s house had packed up and left.  That family was the one that supposedly was hosting the bar-b-q.  I had thought about hiding from the bar-b-q, but it turned out that I didn’t have to.  Apparently, generator-naighbor had tried to force the idea on his next door neighbor.

So, back to this morning.  I had talk to Roberto before I found out about the disconnect.  Our friend B called and we discussed my options.  She agreed that I should try to get a generator.  She said she would start calling around since the cell phone I had might not last long.  Then I called my sister, who has had power and phone service since Saturday and got asked her to start calling around.

Less than an hour later, my sister called back and said there was a Lowes nearby.  I got in the car and ran into Roberto on his way to the house.  I picked him up and off went.  The generators had sold in three minutes.  There was none left.

We went down the road to a Home Depot.  There was a line and I dropped R off.  In the parking lot, Home Depot employees were telling people that part of the ceiling had collapsed and that they were only selling generators, gas cans, motor oil and extension cords.  I was a little worried, but walked on up to the line.  People were coming out with generators.  The signs gave a range of prices from about $400 to $600.  I started talking to a guy whose son was in line.  They had lost power at about the same time I had.  My sister called and said she had found a place that still had them.   Since we were in line ahead of him, I told the guy I was talking to that I would count how many they had and tell him and if necessary, I would call my sis back and see if whe could get one for him.

It turned out to be unnecessary.  The line went very quickly and just before we got in, a Home Depot employee told the guy that they were unloading more.

We went in and one guy asked us which generator we wanted.  We chose the smaller one.  The had one loaded on a cart with 2 5 gallon gas cans and 2 quarts of oil.  We just took one of the gas cans and checked out in under 5 minutes and under $500.  Another employee helped us load it into the Yaris — it fit!

When we got home, I went down to check on the neighbor across from the generator-neighbor.  They had hooked up, but then they disconnected after 8 hours.  I had tried to check on them after that, but had found no one home (on maybe willing to come to the door).  They were ok.  A relative had brought them a generator. 

I started reading the instructions and then my next door neighbor got home and pitched in.  Between the three of us we got the thing up and running by 4:00.

It’s almost 8 now, and so far, so good.  We have to change the oil at 9:00, but then it should go for 100 hours before I have to do that again.  The fuel should last us until 2 a.m.

I went out and checked on it earlier.  It seems to be leaking a bit of oil, so I will call the customer service number tomorrow.

Right now, I am just glad that everything worked out so well today.  I feel extremely lucky.

Tomorrow looks to have less drama, so I hope to post about what I’m hearing here and about the storm itself.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s